written by Mary Chase
directed by Margaret Young
Friday January 15th 2016 — Saturday February 6th 2016
Here’s a delightful classic comedy about a kind hearted, middle-aged eccentric named Elwood P. Dowd whose best friend is an invisible Pooka, a benign but mischievous mythological creature resembling a six foot tall rabbit.
Happy with himself and his life, Elwood introduces everyone he meets to his friend, Harvey. His family is unsure if Dowd’s obsession with Harvey is a product of mental illness or his propensity to drink. In the ensuing mayhem, our hero’s vivid perspective in a world of oppressive conformity is wonderfully reassuring.
Genuine characters and uncomplicated values of love and friendship keep this play’s appeal intact almost 70 years after it was written.
- Elwood P. Dowd: Andrew Greenway
- Veta Simmons: Meg Sewell
- Myrtle Mae Simmons: Kimberlyn Frost
- Dr. Sanderson: Steven Bermack
- Nurse Ruth Kelly: Anne Marie Goulding
- Wilson: Edward Van Saders
- Dr. Chumley: Gordon Wolotira
- Betty Chumley: Sondra Rosoff
- Judge Gaffney: Greg Schilero
- Mrs. Chauvenet/E.F. Longrin: Kathy C. Gnazzo